1½ cups warm water1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 packet dry active yeast
4½ cups flour
3 tablespoons oil, divided
⅔ cup baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
2. In a bowl, mix water, salt, and sugar until combined. Add yeast, and let rest 5 minutes until yeast starts to foam.
3. Add flour and 2 tablespoons of oil, and mix thoroughly until a dough forms. 4. Remove the dough and use the remaining oil to cover the bowl.
5. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
6. Cut dough into 8 pieces and roll them out into thin ropes, twisting the two ends to form a pretzel shape.
7. Add baking soda to a large pot of water, and bring to a rolling boil. Boil each pretzel for 30 seconds per side.
8. Transfer pretzels to a baking sheet, brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with salt. 9. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.